Can both parties use the same lawyer in Pennsylvania family court matters?

No. The Pennsylvania Rules of Professional Conduct govern the ethical practice of law in PA.  Those Rules recognize that parties to a divorce, child support, child custody or other PA Family Court action have competing legal rights and obligations even when they are in agreement on a legal issue.   Because an attorney must fully inform their client on their legal rights and obligations and because the legal rights and obligations of the two parties may be competition with each other, a Pennsylvania family law and divorce attorney can represent only one party or spouse in a contested family law or divorce case.Sometimes, the parties decide that only one of them will retain an attorney. In this situation, the Pennsylvania family law lawyer prepares any paperwork or agreements on behalf of the client who hired the lawyer and any only gives advice to that client that has retained the attorney’s services. The lawyer’s client is the only party represented in this situation.

Our PA family law firm recommends that each party to a Family Court case obtain independent representation of an attorney of their choice so that their legal rights are protected.  Contact our Pittsburgh family law lawyers to learn about your legal rights and obligations in a PA family law case.

Our lawyers accept family law cases in Allegheny County (Pittsburgh), Armstrong County (Kittanning), Beaver County, Berks County, Butler County, Clearfield County, Somerset County, Washington County, and Westmoreland County (Greensburg). Our attorneys accept Pennsylvania family law cases from other Pennsylvania counties including Clarion County, Fayette County, Greene County, Indiana County, Lawrence County (New Castle), Mercer County, and Venango County on a case-by-case basis.

Back to FAQs


The statements in this section are based on Pennsylvania law and have been issued to inform and not advise. The statements are general in nature and individual facts in a given case may alter their application or involve other laws not referred to here.

Back to FAQs