Dodging Unpaid Pennsylvania Child Support? Think Again!

Click below to share this on social media:

Rapper turned “Flavor of Love” reality TV star Flava-Flav will not be going to prison … at least not today. Facing 180 days in jail for falling behind in child support to the tune of $110,000.00, “Flav” narrowly dodged jail time by paying nearly $25,000.00 of his total debt, the balance of which is to be paid over time. Flav appeared in Albany County Family Court on June 19, 2012 to contest the debt and stated, “No matter what’s in the media, I am a good father to all 7 of my children. I’ll never let my family do without!” The father of seven added, “I do the best that I can with what I got and I try to make it work, and any man that doesn’t take care of his kids is not a real man and he doesn’t get good luck.”

But the story doesn’t end there. Flav’s $110,000.00 child support bill begs the question: Just how long was clock-wearing rapper dodging his obligation to rack up a bill that high? The answer may surprise you. A source reveals that Flav was obligated to pay $837.72 a week to Angie Parker, mother of three of Flav’s children according to the couple’s child support agreement. At a rate of $837.72 per week, some quick math reveals that Flav must have failed to pay for over two years!

In Flav’s case the New York Court, much like Pennsylvania Child Support courts, took the rapper’s child support delinquency seriously. In May of this year, the Albany County magistrate recommended the jail sentence, calling the Flav’s failure to pay a “willful violation” and calling for the revocation of Flav’s driver’s license and passport after he failed to show up for a hearing that month.

In Pennsylvania Family Court, if a parent who is required to pay child support has failed to comply with an order of court, the case will be heard by a judge and that parent may be held in contempt. After being found in contempt, if the parent’s non-payment persists there are numerous enforcement remedies available to secure payment of past due child support (also called support arrearages). Among these enforcement remedies are: of driver’s licenses, revocation of any other state-issued licenses including professional licenses, liens placed against bank accounts, withholding of federal or state tax refunds and imposition of attorney fees.

If you have an existing child support case in Pennsylvania and would like to inquire whether payment has been made or received, you can contact the Pennsylvania Domestic Relations Office in the county where the child support order was entered by the court or telephone the Pennsylvania State Collection and Disbursement Unit (PA SCDU) at 1-877-676-9580.