A K-1 Visa is also knows as a fiancée visa. A U.S. Citizen may petition the government to allow his or her fiancée to enter the country as a K-1 visa holder so that they may be married. Typically, the couple must have met in person in the two years preceding the application. The couple must marry within 90 days of receiving an approved visa. Before marrying, the couple may be subject to entrance interviews conducted by the Immigration Agency. After marriage, the K-1 Visa holder must apply for permanent citizenship.

There is a possibility to circumvent the meeting requirement by applying for a K-1 visa waiver. Under this waiver, the couple must prove there was an extreme hardship that prevented a meeting form taking place. This is a very difficult burden to prove, however. Simply arguing that finances prevented the meeting will not suffice. For example, a couple may argue that there is some sort of medical condition that prevents frequent travelling, or something similar when applying for the waiver.

Contact our Miami-Dade County Family Based Immigration Attorneys

Contact our Miami Family Based Immigration Attorneys at 305-222-7351, toll free at 1-844-VARI-LAW, or e-mail us to schedule an appointment to discuss your Dade County, Broward County, or Monroe County immigration questions and issues.

Our Miami Immigration lawyers accept immigration law cases in Miami-Dade County, Broward County and Monroe County.

Consultations are available in Miami and at several meeting locations throughout Dade and Broward Counties including Lincoln Road in Miami Beach, Galiano Street in Coral Gables, West Country Club Drive in Aventura, Hollywood Boulevard in Hollywood and in the Homestead area. Appointments are also available by telephone and via Skype internet video chat.