Is there a relationship between seeing the children and paying support in PA?

In Pennsylvania, the person required to pay child or spousal support must comply with the support order even if the custodial parent is not complying with a custody order. If there is a problem with custody, a custody complaint, petition to modify or petition for contempt must be filed to address the custody issues. When an amount of support is not paid when due, the past due support is called support arrears or support arrearages. Failure to comply with either a support or custody order could result in being found in contempt for failing to obey the order and the imposition of sanctions including imposition of attorneys fees or incarceration. Additional sanctions when arrears are owed may include loss of any state issued licenses including professional licenses and driver’s licenses and seizure of bank accounts.

Contact our Pittsburgh child custody lawyers for help you if the other parent is not allowing you see your children. Do not risk a contempt action by failing to pay your child support order, contact our office for assistance.

Our office accepts Pennsylvania family law firm routinely accepts cases in Allegheny County (Pittsburgh), Armstrong County (Kittanning), Beaver County, Berks County, Butler County, Clearfield County, Somerset County, Washington County, and Westmoreland County (Greensburg). Our law firm accepts Pennsylvania family law cases from other Western Pennsylvania counties including Clarion County, Fayette County, Greene County, Indiana County, Lawrence County, Mercer County, Venango County on a case-by-case basis.

Back to FAQs


The statements in this section are based on Pennsylvania law and have been issued to inform and not advise. The statements are general in nature and individual facts in a given case may alter their application or involve other laws not referred to here.

Back to FAQs