Custody Relocation Move Away Protecting Your Family's Interests for three decades Get A Consultation

Custody Relocation/Move Away In Pittsburgh and Allegheny County

In Florida, if a parent wishes to move away or relocate with his or her minor child on a permanent basis for more than 60 consecutive days to a new residence 50 miles or more away from the current residence, the relocating parent must provide advance notice of the intent to relocate to the non-relocating parent who has a right to agree or contest the relocation. If the non-relocating parent files a notice that they intend to contest the relocation, the relocating parent must obtain the Miami-Dade, Broward, or Monroe family court’s permission in order to relocate. If a Florida parent relocates without providing proper notice or after a notice to contest the relocation has been filed, that parent may be sanctioned by the Family Court which could include an order compelling the return of the child and/or loss of custody rights.

If the parents do not agree on the relocation issue, the Florida family court can hold a preliminary hearing and issue a temporary order either granting or denying the relocation on a temporary basis until a final hearing can be held by the court.

Florida Laws on Moving Children Out-Of-State

Parental relocation matters are specifically governed by Florida statutes that require analysis of the following in contested child relocation cases:

  • The nature, quality, extent of involvement and duration of child’s relationship with the parent proposing to relocate with the child and the non-relocating parent, other persons, siblings, half-siblings, and other significant persons in the child’s life.
  • The age and developmental state of the child, the needs of the child, the likely impact the relocation will have on the child’s physical, educational, and emotional development, taking into consideration any special needs of the child.
  • The feasibility of preserving the relationship between the non-relocating parent or other persons and the child through substitute arrangements that take into consideration the logistics of contact, access, visitation, and time-sharing, as well as the financial circumstances of the parties; whether those factors are sufficient to foster a continuing meaningful relationship between the child and the non-relocating parent or other person; and the likelihood of compliance with the substitute arrangements by the relocating parent once he or she is out of the jurisdiction of the court.
  • The child’s preference, taking into consideration the age and maturity of the child.
  • Whether the relocation will enhance the general quality of life for the parent seeking the relocation and the child, including, but not limited to, financial or emotional benefits or educational opportunities.
  • The reasons of each parent or other person for seeking or opposing the relocation.
  • The current employment and economic circumstances of each parent or other person and whether or not the proposed relocation is necessary to improve the economic circumstances of the parent or other person seeking relocation of the child.
  • That the relocation is sought in good faith and the extent to which the objecting parent has fulfilled his or her financial obligations to the parent or other person seeking relocation, including child support, spousal support, and marital property and marital debt obligations.
  • The career and other opportunities available to the objecting parent or other person if the relocation occurs.
  • Whether there is a history of substance abuse or domestic violence by either parent, including a consideration of the severity of such conduct and the failure or success of any attempts at rehabilitation.
  • Any other factor affecting the best interest of the child.

Contact Our Miami Relocation Lawyers

Attorney Lisa Marie Vari had the opportunity to research the laws across the United States regarding relocating parents and minor children when she was a judicial law clerk. Our law office has extensive knowledge in the child custody relocation area of law as well as vast experience negotiating and trying custody relocation cases.

Contact our Miami time-sharing attorneys at (412) 231-9786, or e-mail us to schedule an appointment for divorce advice and to discuss your Dade County, Broward County, or Monroe County child custody and parenting plan issues.

Our Miami child custody lawyers accept family law cases in Miami-Dade County, Broward County, and Monroe County. Consultations are available in person at our downtown Miami law office and at several meeting locations throughout Dade and Broward Counties including Lincoln Road in Miami Beach, West Country Club Drive in Aventura, and Hollywood Boulevard in Hollywood. Appointments are also available by telephone and via Skype internet video chat.

Want to Learn More?

If you would like more information on family law topics, read the topics in our Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs).

  • “Lisa herself is a very dedicated, hard working, professional and compassionate person. She is very driven to get the results you desire, but also listens to your needs and understands the difficult nature of the business.”

    - Pennie E.
  • “I've worked with this firm on more than one occasion and have nothing but HIGH PRAISE for their professionalism, expertise and knowledge.”

    - Rebecca H.
  • “I not only recommend attorney Melissa Lewis, but I guarantee once you have used her service you will look no further. She responds in an extreme timely matter, is very knowledgeable, and an extremely trustworthy person.”

    - Maurice B.

Lisa Marie Vari & Associates, P.C. Is the Right Choice for Your Family Matters

Learn more about our firm and why you should entrust our experienced legal team to handle your family law matters.

  • Strong Support
    A team of senior attorneys, junior associates, paralegals and law school clerks for full legal support throughout the process.
  • Complex Cases
    Experienced with high income, self employed professionals in complex support and equitable distribution cases.
  • Diverse
    Attorney Lisa Marie Vari is trained as a mediator and collaborative family lawyer.
  • Experienced
    More than 30 years of experience practicing family law in Pennsylvania.

Request a Consultation

We can further discuss the individual details of your case when you come in for your no-obligation consultation, which can be scheduled by calling our firm at (412) 231-9786 or via the quick contact form we have included at the bottom of this page.

  • Please enter your first name.
  • Please enter your last name.
  • Please enter your phone number.
    This isn't a valid phone number.
  • Please enter your email address.
    This isn't a valid email address.
  • Please make a selection.
  • Please make a selection.
  • Please enter a message.
  • Please make a selection.
  • Please enter a message.

The information on this website is for general information purposes only. Nothing on this site should be taken as legal advice for any individual case or situation. This information is not intended to create, and receipt or viewing does not constitute, an attorney-client relationship.