Can either spouse prevent the entry of a PA divorce decree?

Generally speaking, the petitioner in a Dissolution of Marriage petition will indicate that the marriage is irretrievably broken. The respondent in the Petition for Dissolution of Marriagehas the right to dispute that the marriage is irretrievably broken and can request that the family court order the parties to marriage counseling. If marriage counseling does not reunite the parties, the respondent can nevertheless still allege that the marriage is not over and request a hearing on the issue. This step is rarely if ever taken and hearings on whether the marriage is irretrievably broken are few and far between given the costs and emotional issues involved in such a proceeding. Instead, once a Petition is filed the parties usually accept that it signals the end of their marriage and focus their efforts on the financial issues between them such as support and property division as well as any time-sharing (child custody) issues.Our office accepts Florida family law cases including dissolution of marriage (divorce), equitable distribution, spousal support, alimony, paternity, child support, time-sharing (child custody), juvenile law cases, and related matters in Miami-Dade County, Broward County and Monroe County. Our law firm accepts Florida family law cases from other counties on a case-by-case basis.

Consultations are available in Miami and at several meeting locations throughout Dade and Broward Counties including Lincoln Road in Miami Beach, West Country Club Drive in Aventura, Hollywood Boulevard in Hollywood and in the Homestead area.  Appointments are also available by telephone and via Skype internet video chat.  Telephone our office at (305) 222-7351  or send us an email to schedule a consultation.

When scheduling a consultation, please inform the secretary if there are any pending hearings, deadlines for filing an appeal, or other reason why you may need an immediate appointment. We will do our very best to accommodate your schedule in setting an appointment.

Back to FAQs