Can I file for legal separation from my spouse in Florida?

In short, the answer is no. You cannot file for legal separation from your Miami spouse. Florida divorce law does not have a formal process providing for a legal separation of spouses. In fact, Florida family law does not even utilize the term “legal separation” in Florida divorce cases. Some clients ask about preventing divorce and if Florida law has a mechanism to stop a divorce decree from being entered by the Miami-Dade family court. Here, again, the answer is no. If either spouse wishes to be divorced, there is no way to prevent the divorce decree from being entered by the family court.

If you are facing the end of a relationship in Florida, and would like to know what your legal options are, contact the Miami family law office of Vari & Associates. Consultations are available in Miami and at several meeting locations throughout Dade and Broward Counties including Lincoln Road in Miami Beach, West Country Club Drive in Aventura, Hollywood Boulevard in Hollywood and in the Homestead area. Appointments are also available by telephone and via Skype internet video chat. Telephone our office at (305) 222-7351 or send us an email to schedule a consultation.

When scheduling a consultation, please inform the secretary if there are any pending hearings, deadlines for filing an appeal, or other reason why you may need an immediate appointment. We will do our very best to accommodate your schedule in setting an appointment.


The statements in this section are based on Florida law and have been issued to inform and not advise. The statements are general in nature and individual facts in a given case may alter their application or involve other laws not referred to here.

Back to FAQs