Do I need a lawyer for a child custody dispute in Florida?

The short answer is: no, you do not need an attorney for a child custody dispute in Florida. It is an established rule that you have the right to represent yourself in a court of law. Should you get a Miami family law attorney for a child custody dispute, however, is a different question. If you are asking if you should, the answer is yes. Many people do not understand that choosing to represent yourself means that the Court will expect you to follow the same rules and procedures that an experienced Miami child custody attorney must follow.

Florida laws and rules can be complex and oftentimes confusing if you do not have background or training in the law. It is always best to consult with a Miami family law attorney and hire this attorney to represent you in your case. Though you may think you are saving money by representing yourself, the outcome of the case may not turn out as you wanted because of your limited legal knowledge. Hiring a Miami child custody lawyer will not only make the process easier for you, it will give you the law on your side. A Miami child custody attorney will work to obtain a Florida time-sharing agreement for you, one that keeps in mind your wishes and the best interest of your child. A child custody lawyer is a helpful tool for any parent in a Florida child custody dispute so if you cannot afford an attorney, you may want to contact your local legal services provider or Florida Bar Association to inquire about free or discounted legal representation.

If you are facing a Florida child custody dispute and would like to be represented by an experienced Miami child custody attorney, contact the Vari & Associates. Consultations are available in Miami and at several meeting locations throughout Dade and Broward Counties including Lincoln Road in Miami Beach, West Country Club Drive in Aventura, Hollywood Boulevard in Hollywood and in the Homestead area. Appointments are also available by telephone and via Skype internet video chat. Telephone our office at (305) 222-7351 or send us an email to schedule a consultation.

When scheduling a consultation, please inform the secretary if there are any pending hearings, deadlines for filing an appeal, or other reason why you may need an immediate appointment. We will do our very best to accommodate your schedule in setting an appointment.


The statements in this section are based on Florida law and have been issued to inform and not advise. The statements are general in nature and individual facts in a given case may alter their application or involve other laws not referred to here.

Back to FAQs