Do I need a lawyer to file a temporary restraining order in Florida?

Though you have the right to represent yourself in any Florida family law proceeding, we do not recommend that a victim of domestic violence in Florida choose this option. In many cases domestic violence makes the victim submissive to the attacker, so an experienced Miami family lawyer would allow the victim to feel more in control of the situation. A Miami domestic violence attorney would work with the client to file a temporary restraining order and attempt to get a domestic violence judge to issue temporary orders not only for possession of your home, but also for child custody, child support and spousal support. You should be prepared immediately for your long term future as these temporary orders really can have a long lasting impact of the rest of your case. After a period of time these temporary orders may be made permanent by a Miami-Dade domestic violence judge.If you are the victim of domestic violence including spousal abuse or if your child has suffered child abuse, you should speak with a Miami domestic violence lawyer for a consultation on how to legally move forward and begin rebuilding your life. When your family law case begins without warning because of the hurtful actions of another, you need comprehensive family law advice, not just someone who will provide you with a short-term solution to this very serious problem. There are many great resources to help you in the short-term such as free volunteer attorneys, but you need long-term solutions from an experienced Miami family lawyer.If you have been the victim of domestic violence and would like to know what your options are and how to file a temporary restraining order, contact the Miami domestic violence lawyers at Vari & Associates. Consultations are available in Miami and at several meeting locations throughout Dade and Broward Counties including Lincoln Road in Miami Beach, West Country Club Drive in Aventura, Hollywood Boulevard in Hollywood and in the Homestead area. Appointments are also available by telephone and via Skype internet video chat. Telephone our office at (305) 222-7351 or send us an email to schedule a consultation.When scheduling a consultation, please inform the secretary if there are any pending hearings, deadlines for filing an appeal, or other reason why you may need an immediate appointment. We will do our very best to accommodate your schedule in setting an appointment.


The statements in this section are based on Florida law and have been issued to inform and not advise. The statements are general in nature and individual facts in a given case may alter their application or involve other laws not referred to here.

Back to FAQs