How do I adjust child support payments in Florida?

A Florida child support order may be modified based on a showing of a substantial change in circumstances, when the best interests of the minor child requires modification, or upon the child reaching the age of majority or is otherwise emancipated through marriage or joining the armed services. A substantial change of circumstances may be based upon a change in the financial ability of either parent which was not anticipated when the original order or agreement was entered, an involuntary decrease in income, extraordinary medical expenses, independent income of the child, the age of a child, the extent of overnights the payor exercises with the minor children, IRS tax credits and exemptions, the special needs of a disabled child and any other factor that requires consideration for an equitable result. The Florida child support guidelines provide that before the Florida family court may find a substantial change in circumstances, the difference between the existing monthly obligation and the amount provided for under the guidelines must be at least 15 percent or $50, whichever amount is greater.If you have an order to pay child support and would like to modify the payment amount, contact our Miami child support attorneys at Vari & Associates. Consultations are available in Miami and at several meeting locations throughout Dade and Broward Counties including Lincoln Road in Miami Beach, West Country Club Drive in Aventura, Hollywood Boulevard in Hollywood and in the Homestead area. Appointments are also available by telephone and via Skype internet video chat. Telephone our office at (305) 222-7351 or send us an email to schedule a consultation.

When scheduling a consultation, please inform the secretary if there are any pending hearings, deadlines for filing an appeal, or other reason why you may need an immediate appointment. We will do our very best to accommodate your schedule in setting an appointment.


The statements in this section are based on Florida law and have been issued to inform and not advise. The statements are general in nature and individual facts in a given case may alter their application or involve other laws not referred to here.

Back to FAQs