Is there a relationship between seeing the children and paying support in Florida?

The more time-sharing a Miami parent has with a child, the lower the child support payment they will have to make. Florida Child Support Guidelines are used to determine the amount of child support that will be ordered. The combined net incomes of the parents are utilized to determine the total monthly child support obligation. Thereafter, a formula is applied to determine each parent’s share of the total monthly child support obligation and a calculation is done to determine whether the mother or father will pay child support. In 2010, the Florida child support guidelines were amended to indicate that the parent paying child support may be entitled to a downward deviation in child support payments if that parent exercises more than 20 percent of the overnights in a calendar year with the minor children. A Miami child support and child custody lawyer will be able to give an estimate on how much you will have to pay for child support depending on the time-sharing arrangement the court orders, so it would be of great use to you to speak with a Miami child support attorney at the start of your case.If you are facing a Florida divorce, and would like to speak with one of our Miami attorneys about child support and/or child custody, contact Vari & Associates. Consultations are available in Miami and at several meeting locations throughout Dade and Broward Counties including Lincoln Road in Miami Beach, West Country Club Drive in Aventura, Hollywood Boulevard in Hollywood and in the Homestead area. Appointments are also available by telephone and via Skype internet video chat. Telephone our office at (305) 222-7351 or send us an email to schedule a consultation.

When scheduling a consultation, please inform the secretary if there are any pending hearings, deadlines for filing an appeal, or other reason why you may need an immediate appointment. We will do our very best to accommodate your schedule in setting an appointment.


The statements in this section are based on Florida law and have been issued to inform and not advise. The statements are general in nature and individual facts in a given case may alter their application or involve other laws not referred to here.

Back to FAQs