Will my spouse be entitled to alimony in a Florida divorce?

If you are the higher earning spouse, then it is likely that you will have to pay your spouse alimony on a monthly basis. The amount and the length of these spousal support payments, however, will vary on a case to case basis. There are no alimony guidelines or alimony calculation formulas as is the case with child support issues. Instead, alimony laws in Florida indicate that a spouse must prove “need,” meaning that their income and award of assets is not sufficient to meet their reasonable monthly expenses and that the payor spouse has the ability to pay alimony. In addition, other alimony rules that the Florida family court will consider in determining if the payment of alimony to a wife or husband is justified and, if so, the amount of alimony that should be paid include: the standard of living during marriage, the length of marriage, the financial resources of both spouses, and the contributions of both spouses to the marriage.

If you are facing a Florida divorce, and are worried about how much alimony you may have to pay your ex-spouse, contact the Miami divorce and alimony lawyers at Vari & Associates. Consultations are available in Miami and at several meeting locations throughout Dade and Broward Counties including Lincoln Road in Miami Beach, West Country Club Drive in Aventura, Hollywood Boulevard in Hollywood and in the Homestead area. Appointments are also available by telephone and via Skype internet video chat. Telephone our office at (305) 222-7351 or send us an email to schedule a consultation.

When scheduling a consultation, please inform the secretary if there are any pending hearings, deadlines for filing an appeal, or other reason why you may need an immediate appointment. We will do our very best to accommodate your schedule in setting an appointment.


The statements in this section are based on Florida law and have been issued to inform and not advise. The statements are general in nature and individual facts in a given case may alter their application or involve other laws not referred to here.

Back to FAQs