The United States Citizenship and Immigration Services created the Q-visa for international cultural exchange programs. An immigrant is eligible for a Q-visa if they are seeking to participate in an international cultural exchange program. The exchange program is for the purpose of providing practical training and employment, and to share the history, culture, and traditions of your home country with the United States. Q-visas have a period of stay for 15 months, once the period is over the person will have 30 days to leave the country. If they wish to return to the cultural exchange program the person must spend a minimum of one year outside of the United States.

Employers who administer cultural exchange programs are allowed to petition for the Q nonimmigrant visa. The nonimmigrant must be at least 18 years old and be able to communicate effectively about the cultural attributes of the country from which they came. The Q-visa program and the training or employment must be approved in advance by the U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services after the employer has filed the Form I-129Q.

Additionally, the employer must submit evidence that they maintain an established international cultural exchange program. This can be demonstrated by submitting copies of catalogs, brochures, or other types of material which illustrate that the cultural component of the program is designed to give and overview of the attitude, customs, history, heritage, philosophy, tradition, and other cultural attributes of the nonimmigrant’s home country. The employer must also establish that it has designated a qualified employee to administer the program and serve as liaisons with the U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services; it will offer the alien wages and working conditions comparable to those accorded local workers that are similarly employed; and it has the financial ability to compensate the participant, as shown by a copy of the employer’s most recent annual report, business income tax return or other form of certified accountant’s report.

The Q-visa does not allow for any spouses or children to accompany the Q-visa recipient to the United States. If the spouse and children want to enter the U.S. during the same period of time as the Q-visa holder they must qualify for another visa classification.

Contact our Miami-Dade County Nonimmigrant Visa Attorneys

Contact our Miami employment based visa attorneys at 305-222-7351, or e-mail us to schedule an appointment to discuss your Dade County, Broward County, or Monroe County immigration questions and issues.

Our Miami Immigration lawyers accept immigration law cases in Miami-Dade County, Broward County and Monroe County.

Consultations are available in Miami and at several meeting locations throughout Dade and Broward Counties including Lincoln Road in Miami Beach, Galiano Street in Coral Gables, West Country Club Drive in Aventura, Hollywood Boulevard in Hollywood and in the Homestead area. Appointments are also available by telephone and via Skype internet video chat.