Miami R-Visas Lawyers – Temporary Religious Workers Visa

R-visas are provided to foreign nationals who are coming to the United States temporarily to be employed at least part time by a non-profit religious organization to work as a minister or in a religious vocation or occupation. To qualify for the R-1 visa the person must have been a member of a religious denomination having a bona fide non-profit religious organization in the United States for at least two years immediately before filing the petition. The period of stay for these visas can be for up to 30 months. Extensions may be granted for an additional 30 months, but the total period of stay cannot exceed 5 years.A prospective U.S. employer must file the I-129 Form on behalf of the R-1 worker. This type of visa cannot be issued at a U.S. Embassy or Consulate abroad. Along with the I-129 the employer must also submit a number of supporting documents. These documents include proof of tax-exempt status, proof of salaried or non-salaried compensation, documents stating that the religious worker will be self-supporting, and copies of the religious workers bank records or budgets documenting the sources of self-support. The religious worker seeking the R-1 visa must provide proof of membership in the religious denomination, and if the religious worker will be working as a minister they must provide a copy of the religious worker’s certificate of ordination and documents showing acceptance of the worker’s qualifications as a minister in the religious denomination.

A R-1 worker may also petition for their spouse and unmarried children, who are under 21 years of age, to be eligible for R-2 classification. R-2 dependents are not authorized to accept employment based on this visa classification.

Contact our Miami-Dade County Nonimmigrant Visa Attorneys

Contact our South Florida employment based visa attorneys at 305-222-7351, or e-mail usto schedule an appointment to discuss your Dade County, Broward County, or Monroe County immigration questions and issues.

Our Miami Immigration lawyers accept immigration law cases in Miami-Dade County, Broward County and Monroe County.

Consultations are available in Miami and at several meeting locations throughout Dade and Broward Counties including Lincoln Road in Miami Beach, Galiano Street in Coral Gables, West Country Club Drive in Aventura, Hollywood Boulevard in Hollywood and in the Homestead area. Appointments are also available by telephone and via Skype internet video chat.