Is My New Spouse’s Income Considered in My PA Child Support Case

When you and your child’s other parent are no longer together, the non-custodial parent will generally be required to pay child support to the custodial parent. 

But, when your child’s other parent finds out that you are remarried, they may be interested in having their required child support payments reduced, thinking that your new spouse’s income should have an impact on the amount to be paid. 

However, this is often not the case. Read on to learn more about how child support is calculated in Pennsylvania and what might happen to child support payments when the custodial parent remarries. 

How Is Child Support Calculated in Pennsylvania?

Child support payments are usually paid in shared or sole custody agreements. In these cases, the non-custodial parent is obligated to pay the custodial parent child support to fulfill their financial obligation to their child. The PA Child Support Guidelines are used to calculate the amount of child support payments, and take into consideration the following factors:

  • The number of overnights the non-custodial parent has (i.e. your physical custody plan)
  • How many children are covered under the order
  • Both parents income
  • Health insurance and child care expenses
  • Both parents necessary living expenses

What Happens to Child Support Amounts When You Remarry?

Technically, just because you have remarried doesn’t mean your spouse is now financially obligated to children that aren’t biologically theirs. 

However, your spouse’s income may play a part in your child support case given that the courts may include their income in the amount of income you have available to you. In many cases, this will deviate from the standard PA Child Support Guidelines, so you will need to speak with your lawyer to obtain a better idea of what to expect in your case. 

Contact a Pennsylvania Child Support Lawyer

To learn more about how your new spouse’s income could influence the amount of your child support, reach out to an experienced Pennsylvania child support lawyer at Lisa Marie Vari & Associates, P.C. You can give our office a call at 1-844-VARI-LAW (827-4529) or fill out the online contact form provided below to schedule your primary consultation.