Will I Have to Pay Alimony in Pennsylvania if My Spouse Cheated on Me?

One of the most common reasons for a marriage to end is because one spouse cheated on the other. In divorce proceedings the question of whether one spouse will be ordered to pay alimony will also often arise.

But, if your spouse cheated on you, and you are the higher-earning spouse, will you be obligated to pay them alimony if you choose to leave them for committing adultery? Continue reading to learn more about when alimony is commonly awarded in Pennsylvania and how your spouse cheating on you could have an impact on your potential alimony order.

When Is Alimony Awarded in Pennsylvania?

Alimony is not necessarily awarded in every Pennsylvania divorce. In fact, in many cases, alimony is awarded only when one spouse relied on the other for financial support. 

Maybe one spouse earns significantly less than the other and will need financial assistance to maintain their standard of living. Or, perhaps one spouse is physically disabled and unable to provide for themselves without alimony. If both spouses are on equal footing in terms of their income and expenses, it is possible that an alimony order will not be issued.

How Adultery Has an Impact on Alimony

If your spouse cheated on you and you are the higher-earning spouse, it is quite possible that if your spouse seeks alimony, the courts will deny their request due to their infidelity. 

However, if you are the higher-earning spouse and you are the one who cheated on your spouse, you can reasonably expect to be ordered to pay alimony to the lesser-earning spouse if they require your financial support. Your alimony lawyer in Pennsylvania can give you a better idea of what to expect based on the circumstances of your case. 

Meet with a Pennsylvania Alimony Lawyer

If your spouse cheated on you and you suspect that they are also going to be seeking alimony in your divorce, you may need a qualified Pennsylvania alimony lawyer to help. Reach out to Lisa Marie Vari & Associates, P.C. to schedule your initial consultation. 

You can fill out the quick contact form we have provided at the bottom of this page or give our office a call at 1-844-VARI-LAW (827-4529) when you are ready to get started on your case.