Visa Waiver Program

The Visa Waiver Program (VWP) allows citizens of participating countries to travel to the United States without a visa for tourism or business. People that qualify for the VWP for business purposes are classified under the B-1 visa category and those that qualify for the VWP for tourism are classified as visa category B-2. If a person seeks to do a combination of business and tourism they may do so. The stays must be for 90 days or less and they must meet a number of requirements to qualify. To qualify for the VWP the person must have a valid Electronic System for Travel Authorization (ESTA) approval prior to travel and must have a passport that is valid for at least six months after your planned departure from the United States. The ESTA is the Department of Homeland Security, Customs and Border Protection’s automated system that determines eligibility to travel without a visa to the United States. When using the VWP it is generally permitted for the person to travel through the United States to Canada or Mexico.To qualify for the VWP for business purposes the person must be coming to the U.S. to do one of the following: consult with business associates; attend a scientific, educational, professional, or business convention or conference; attend short-term training, however, you may not be paid by any source in the U.S. unless it is for expenses incidental to your stay; or negotiate a contract. To qualify for the VWP for tourism the person must intend on entering the United States to do one of the following: tourism; vacation or holiday; visit with friends or relatives; receive medical treatment; participate in social events hosted by fraternal, social, or service organizations; participate by amateurs in musical, sports, or similar events or contests, if not being paid for participating; or enroll in short recreational course of study, not for credit toward a degree.

There are some activities that require a different category of visas and cannot be done while on a visitor visa. Some of these activities include: studying for credit; working; being paid for performances, or any professional performance before a paying audience; arriving as a crewmember on a ship or aircraft; working as foreign press, radio, film, journalism, and other information media; and petitioning for permanent residence in the United States.

The counties whose citizens can participate in the VWP are:

Andorra Germany Malta Spain
Australia Greece Monaco Sweden
Austria Hungary Netherlands Switzerland
Belgium Iceland New Zealand Taiwan
Brunei Ireland Norway United Kingdom
Chile Italy Portugal South Korea
Czech Republic Japan San Marino Luxembourg
Denmark Latvia Singapore France
Estonia Liechtenstein Slovakia
Finland Lithuania Slovenia

Contact our South Florida County Immigration Waiver Attorneys

Contact our Miami immigration waiver attorneys at 305-222-7351, or e-mail us to schedule an appointment to discuss your Dade County, Broward County, or Monroe County immigration questions and issues.

Our Miami Immigration lawyers accept immigration law cases in Miami-Dade County, Broward County and Monroe County.

Consultations are available in Miami and at several meeting locations throughout Dade and Broward Counties including Lincoln Road in Miami Beach, Galiano Street in Coral Gables, West Country Club Drive in Aventura, Hollywood Boulevard in Hollywood and in the Homestead area. Appointments are also available by telephone and via Skype.