So you signed all the papers, divided all your assets, and moved into your own place after the divorce is finalized. Maybe you’re feeling like a true empty nester with the kids out of the house, and now are truly on your own for the first time.
If you start feeling lonely after some time has passed, you may decide that it is time to put your foot back into the dating pool to try to find new companionship. You find someone, but the problem then becomes what to tell your kids. The Huffington Post, a list was compiled from relationship experts about how to jump that hurdle when you come to it:
1. Tell your date about your kids before the first introduction. It is not oversharing. The more they know, the more prepared they will be with conversation topics and things in common.
2. Don’t have unrealistic expectations. As much as you might love your new person, your kids might not, no matter what you do. Go into it hoping for the best, but don’t be surprised if there is no immediate love connection.
3. Do something fun with the kids. Do something the kids will like, so that they will want to repeat the experience in the future.
4. Make it about getting to know the kids, not a date for you too. Your kids want to know that your relationship with them will not change. Make sure that you are giving them the usual amount of attention, and that the time is about them, not your new partner.
5. Talk to your kids about it. After they meet the new person, talk to them about what they thought. Try and resolve any issues early, rather than waiting for them to get worse.
6. Remind your kids that you and your ex are still their parents. Make clear that your new love interest is not out to replace your ex, and that both you and your ex will still be there for them.
7. Take it slow. Don’t have constant interaction between your kids and your new partner until it gets serious. You don’t want the kids to get attached and then end it suddenly..
A new relationship is an exciting part of post-divorce life. Our PA family lawyers are here to make sure that the entire process, from your divorce complaint to your post-divorce life, go as smoothly as possible. Contact our experienced team today!