Name Change In Allegheny County, Pennsylvania

The question of name changing comes up often in family law matters in Allegheny County, Pennsylvania. Does your child have to take their father’s last name? Do you have to formally change your last name back to your maiden name after a divorce? What about changing your child’s name to your maiden name after a divorce? This blog is an answer to some of your common name-changing questions in Allegheny County, Pennsylvania.

Courts in Allegheny County tend to be fairly willing to accept name changes for pretty much any legitimate reason. The main instance where a court will not be prone to granting a change is if there is evidence of the individual attempting to defraud others or avoid paying taxes.

If you would like to petition the court in order to go back to your maiden name, the cost is $10.00 with the court. All you will need to do for this is file a Notice of Intention to Resume Prior Name form with the adult division of the Downtown, Pittsburgh family court. For children’s name changes due to adoption or divorce, this can be done through the Family Division or Orphan’s Court.

Adult name changes that do not involve going back to a maiden name, can be difficult. This process requires the adult to publicly declare their name change as well as petition the Court of Common Pleas in Allegheny County. There also is a fingerprint requirement.

If you or your child needs a name change in Allegheny County, Pennsylvania, it is advisable to speak to an attorney for more help and guidance. Please contact one of our experienced family lawyers today!

Related Posts
  • Name Changes After Divorce Read More