How Do I Get Divorce If My Spouse Doesnt Want To Protecting Your Family's Interests for three decades Get A Consultation

How Do I Pursue A Divorce If My Spouse Does Not Want To?

Making the decision to end your marriage surely was not easy, but when your spouse wants to make the divorce as difficult as possible, or if they genuinely are hoping to salvage your marriage, pursuing a divorce can be more of a challenge. Below, we go into further detail about what a contested divorce is and what steps you should take if your spouse refuses to give you a divorce. 

What It Means for Your Divorce to Be Contested

In Pennsylvania, it is far more common for married couples seeking divorce to file for divorce on no-fault grounds, meaning neither spouse is blaming the other for the breakdown of the marriage (they are simply stating that they are no longer able to remain in the marriage). However, in order to obtain a no-fault divorce, both spouses will need to agree. 

When one spouse does not want to end the marriage and the other does, the divorce will be considered contested, regardless of whether a fault or no-fault divorce was going to be sought.

Steps to Take if Your Spouse Refuses to Give You a Divorce

In the event that your spouse is contesting your divorce, what should have been a fairly simple process will now become far more complicated. When spouses are able to agree to divorce, a PA divorce decree can be issued in as few as sixty days in some cases. 

But in a contested divorce, you will need to prove to the judge that you are no longer able to remain married by being separated from your spouse for two years before a divorce will be granted. This greatly extends the typical divorce timeline. In some cases, divorce mediation may also be called for, which can also draw out the process but may make your divorce more civil.

Your best option here may be to obtain an attorney who can then ensure that the date you first became separated is recognized legally, as legal separation in and of itself is not recognized in Pennsylvania. Once the two years have passed, you will be able to obtain your divorce regardless of your ex’s desire to remain married. 

Meet with a PA Divorce Lawyer

If you are struggling to convince your spouse to give you a divorce or if you have other divorce-related issues that need to be resolved, contact a qualified PA divorce lawyer at Lisa Marie Vari & Associates, P.C. You can submit the quick contact form below or give our office a call at 
(412) 231-9786 to schedule your consultation. 

  • “Lisa herself is a very dedicated, hard working, professional and compassionate person. She is very driven to get the results you desire, but also listens to your needs and understands the difficult nature of the business.”

    - Pennie E.
  • “I've worked with this firm on more than one occasion and have nothing but HIGH PRAISE for their professionalism, expertise and knowledge.”

    - Rebecca H.
  • “I not only recommend attorney Melissa Lewis, but I guarantee once you have used her service you will look no further. She responds in an extreme timely matter, is very knowledgeable, and an extremely trustworthy person.”

    - Maurice B.

Lisa Marie Vari & Associates, P.C. Is the Right Choice for Your Family Matters

Learn more about our firm and why you should entrust our experienced legal team to handle your family law matters.

  • Strong Support
    A team of senior attorneys, junior associates, paralegals and law school clerks for full legal support throughout the process.
  • Complex Cases
    Experienced with high income, self employed professionals in complex support and equitable distribution cases.
  • Diverse
    Attorney Lisa Marie Vari is trained as a mediator and collaborative family lawyer.
  • Experienced
    More than 30 years of experience practicing family law in Pennsylvania.

Request a Consultation

We can further discuss the individual details of your case when you come in for your no-obligation consultation, which can be scheduled by calling our firm at (412) 231-9786 or via the quick contact form we have included at the bottom of this page.

  • Please enter your first name.
  • Please enter your last name.
  • Please enter your phone number.
    This isn't a valid phone number.
  • Please enter your email address.
    This isn't a valid email address.
  • Please make a selection.
  • Please make a selection.
  • Please enter a message.
  • Please make a selection.
  • Please enter a message.

The information on this website is for general information purposes only. Nothing on this site should be taken as legal advice for any individual case or situation. This information is not intended to create, and receipt or viewing does not constitute, an attorney-client relationship.