Domestic Violence Cases in Pittsburgh and Allegheny County
- Lawrence v. Bordner – PA Appellate Court ruled that a Protection from Abuse (PFA) order may temporarily suspend a previously entered custody order if necessary to prevent abuse. McCance v.
- McCance – Those persons entitled to file Protection from Abuse (PFA) complaints against their alleged abusers include persons who are family or household members including spouses, former spouses, persons living as spouses, parents and children, others persons related by blood or marriage, current or former sexual or intimate partners, and those who share biological parenthood.
- Takosky v. Henning – PA Superior Court dismissed appeal of family court finding defendant in contempt of Protection from Abuse order when family court did not enter any sanctions or term of imprisonment against defendant.
- Mescanti v. Mescanti – The PA Superior Court affirmed the entry of a Protection from Abuse Order when husband engaged in a repeated pattern of harassing and threatening the wife even though no physical abuse had taken place.
- B.T.W., On Behalf of T.L., A Minor v. P.J.L. – The Pennsylvania Superior Court held that the trial court’s jurisdiction over the custodian of the minor child, a resident of Maryland, and over the subject matter of the protection from abuse (PFA) action is conferred by the Uniform Child Custody Jurisdiction and Enforcement Act (UCCJEA), 23 Pa.C.S.A. §§ 5401-5482, despite commission of the abusive acts in a state other than Pennsylvania, because the controlling custody order is from Pennsylvania and because if abuse occurred a change of custody could be considered pursuant to the PFA statute.
NOTE: The cases listed are for informational purposes only and may have been amended or overturned by subsequently decided court cases.
“Lisa herself is a very dedicated, hard working, professional and compassionate person. She is very driven to get the results you desire, but also listens to your needs and understands the difficult nature of the business.”- Pennie E.
“I've worked with this firm on more than one occasion and have nothing but HIGH PRAISE for their professionalism, expertise and knowledge.”- Rebecca H.
“I not only recommend attorney Melissa Lewis, but I guarantee once you have used her service you will look no further. She responds in an extreme timely matter, is very knowledgeable, and an extremely trustworthy person.”- Maurice B.
Lisa Marie Vari & Associates, P.C. Is the Right Choice for Your Family Matters
Learn more about our firm and why you should entrust our experienced legal team to handle your family law matters.
Strong SupportA team of senior attorneys, junior associates, paralegals and law school clerks for full legal support throughout the process.
Complex CasesExperienced with high income, self employed professionals in complex support and equitable distribution cases.
DiverseAttorney Lisa Marie Vari is trained as a mediator and collaborative family lawyer.
ExperiencedMore than 30 years of experience practicing family law in Pennsylvania.
Request a Consultation
We can further discuss the individual details of your case when you come in for your no-obligation consultation, which can be scheduled by calling our firm at (412) 231-9786 or via the quick contact form we have included at the bottom of this page.