Florida Family Law FAQs
As a service to current and perspective clients, we offer basic answers to some frequently asked questions about Florida Family Law.
General Florida Family Law Information:
- What is a Florida family law attorney?
- Should both parties use the same lawyer for Florida divorce and family court matters?
- Do I need to hire a Florida family law lawyer?
- What should I do if I am served with a Petition for Dissolution of Marriage, Paternity, or some other action in Florida?
- Can the other party be forced by pay my lawyer’s fees in a Florida family court proceeding?
- How quickly can I schedule an appointment in Miami?
- What are the benefits of a paid consultation with your FL attorneys?
- What consultation options does your Florida family law firm provide?
- What is a retainer?
- What should I do if I am the victim of domestic violence in Florida?
- Do I need a lawyer for my domestic violence case in Florida?
- Do I need a lawyer to file a temporary restraining order in Florida?
- How do I start a divorce case in Florida?
- What is the difference between collaborative divorce and mediation?
- How long will it take for me to get divorce in Florida?
- What is the divorce process in Florida?
- Would I be guilty of abandonment if I leave the marital house during a divorce in Florida?
- In Florida, how much will a divorce cost me?
- In Florida, do I need to go to court to settle my divorce?
- Why should I use mediation, collaborative divorce, or arbitration to resolve my divorce in Florida?
- How does divorce impact my business or business assets in Florida?
- Do I need a prenuptial agreement before I get married and are they really enforceable in Florida?
- How do you determine marital and nonmarital assets and liabilities in Florida divorce cases?
- How are social media, email, text, and other electronic evidence used in divorce or custody case in Florida Family Court?
- If I want to move away from Florida with my child after or upon divorce, what do I need to do?
- How can hidden assets affect my divorce in Florida?
- Can a grandparent get custody of his or her grandchild in Florida?
- How to plan to co-parent with a difficult spouse in Florida?
- Can I stop paying alimony in Florida now that my former spouse is cohabitating with someone?
- Can I seek an increase in my alimony in Florida?
- Can either spouse contest or prevent the entry of a Florida divorce decree?
- How can a spouse or minor child have their name changed in Florida?
- Can a spouse be prevented from entering the marital home in Florida?
- Will my spouse be entitled to alimony in a Florida divorce?
- Do you need a lawyer for divorce mediation in Florida?
- When should I get a divorce lawyer in Florida?
- Do I need a lawyer for a non-contested divorce in Florida?
- Do I need an attorney for a divorce in Florida?
- Can I get divorced without a lawyer in Florida?
- Do I need to attend a parenting class as a part of my Florida divorce?
- Can I file for legal separation from my spouse in Florida?
- Can the Miami-Dade family court require counseling prior to finalizing a Florida divorce?
- Must fault be proven to obtain a Florida divorce decree?
- What should a Florida resident do prior to separating from their spouse or parent of their children?
- Will my spouse get half my assets in a Florida divorce?
- Will my spouse have to pay for marital debts in a Florida divorce?
- How will my property be divided after my Miami divorce?
- Will I be taxed for money or property I receive after a Florida divorce?
Child Custody and Child Support:
- Is there a relationship between seeing the children and paying support in Florida?
- How do I obtain Florida child support or Florida alimony?
- Do I need a Florida child support lawyer for a child support modification?
- Can I file an emergency motion for child support modification in Florida?
- What is Florida retroactive child support?
- Can a father get joint custody in Florida?
- Does a mother always get primary custody in Florida?
- Do I need a lawyer to file for child support in Florida?
- Do I need a lawyer to modify a child custody arrangement in Florida?
- How do I adjust child support payments in Florida?
- Do I need a lawyer for a child custody dispute in Florida?
- Should I hire a Florida family lawyer for my case if I have a child support hearing?
- What should I do if I am served with a divorce complaint in Miami?