Pennsylvania Law Regarding Relocation With A Minor Child

If you are considering relocation out of Pennsylvania with you minor children, logistics are a must. This is especially true if the children’s parents do not live together and a child custody order is in place. In today’s blog, your Western Pennsylvania child custody lawyers discuss the process of relocating with a minor child.

Pennsylvania relocation laws list requirements and steps that must be taken when one is considering relocating to a new city, state, or even a different country. Below are the “relocation logistics” in Pennsylvania.

In Pennsylvania, a parent considering moving with their children must give formal notice to the non-relocating parent, providing at least thirty days’ notice.
The non-relocating parent may object to the move. However, if he or she does object, the court will intervene.

A “Gruber hearing” is then conducted in a Pennsylvania court. The purpose of this hearing is to determine whether the parent is permitted by the court to move their minor children.

A parent’s permission to relocate depends on many factors that are assessed by the family court. Some of these include the children’s relationship with both parents, the reason for the proposed relocation, the reasons why the non-relocating parent is against the move, how the relocation would affect the children and whether it would improve their lives, and whether a new custody schedule would be realistic given the parents’ new living situations.

Although you are required to follow these “logistics” when contemplating relocation with your child, a move and a new place can be an exciting step in your life and in your children’s lives.

Considering the logistics of a move can be very beneficial, and in cases involving custody of children and relocating, they are a necessity. But whether you are taking a personal move, or considering moving with your children, the experience itself can be fulfilling, and may just be that change that you have been looking for in your life. For more guidance on your potential Pennsylvania relocation case, contact our Western PA child custody lawyers at Taybron Law Firm, LLC.

Tags: PA Relocation Laws, Pennsylvania Child Custody Lawyers, Pittsburgh Child Custody Lawyer, Relocation Issues

Related Posts: How Do I Obtain Primary Custody of My Child in Pennsylvania? , What Pennsylvania custody law says about your child’s summer vacation , Parenting Plans in Pennsylvania, If I file for custody in Allegheny County, will my children get to decide where they live?

Related Posts
  • Child Custody Tips For A Happy Summer Read More
  • What To Do If Your Child Is Taken By Child Protective Services In PA Read More
  • Preparing For Child Custody Mediation Read More