Can the person receiving support in PA be compelled to produce receipts proving how the support was utilized?

No. The defendant in a support action cannot, as part of PA child support or other proceedings, ask to see receipts of how child or spousal support, alimony pendente lite (APL), or alimony was utilized by the plaintiff. PA family laws presume that the child or spousal support, alimony pendente lite (APL), or alimony is used to help financially provide all things the spouse and/or child needs, including a home, food, clothing and social activities.

In most cases if a defendant in a spousal support action is concerned about how the support they are paying is being utilized by the other party, it is because they think the PA support order is too high.  Contact our Pittsburgh child support lawyers and spousal support attorneys for an evaluation of your support payments.

Our PA family law attorneys accept cases in Allegheny County (Pittsburgh), Armstrong County (Kittanning), Beaver County, Berks County, Butler County, Clearfield County, Somerset County, Washington County, and Westmoreland County (Greensburg). Our PA family law lawyers accept cases from other Pennsylvania counties including Clarion County, Fayette County, Greene County, Indiana County, Lawrence County (New Castle), Mercer County, and Venango County on a case-by-case basis.

Back to FAQs


The statements in this section are based on Pennsylvania law and have been issued to inform and not advise. The statements are general in nature and individual facts in a given case may alter their application or involve other laws not referred to here.

Back to FAQs