What should I do if I am the victim of domestic violence in Allegheny County?

If you are the victim of spousal abuse, you should immediately contact your local police department and file a police report. The police will be able to provide you with instructions on how to obtain an Emergency Protection from Abuse (PFA) order. You may also wish to consult with a domestic abuse shelter or crisis hotline. Their numbers can be found in the Yellow Pages of your telephone directory or as listed below:

Western Pennsylvania Domestic Violence Shelters and Referral Sources

Pennsylvania Coalition Against Domestic Violence – 1(800) 932-4632

Alle-Kiski Area HOPE Center located in Tarentum, Pennsylvania – 1(888) 299-4673

Crisis Center North located in Allison Park, Pennsylvania – (412) 364-5556

Helping Abuse Victims in Need (HAVIN) located in Kittanning, Pennsylvania – 1(800) 841-8881 or (724) 548-8888

Washington Women’s Shelter located in Washington, Pennsylvania – 1(800) 791-4000 or (724) 223-9190

Womansplace located in McKeesport, Pennsylvania – (412) 678-4616

Women’s Center and Shelter of Greater Pittsburgh – (412) 687-8005

Women’s Center of Beaver County located in Beaver, Pennsylvania – (724) 775-0131

Women’s Services of Westmoreland County located in Greensburg, Pennsylvania – (724) 836-1122

Women’s Shelter Rape Crisis Center of Lawrence County located in New Castle, Pennsylvania – (724) 652-9036

Our Allegheny County domestic violence lawyers

If you are the victim of domestic violence including spousal abuse or if your child has suffered child abuse, contact our Allegheny County domestic violence lawyers for a consultation on how to legally move forward and begin rebuilding your life. When your family law case begins without warning because of the hurtful actions of another, you need comprehensive family law advice, not just someone who will put a band-aid on the immediate problem. There are many great resources to help you in the short-term such as free volunteer attorneys, but you need long-term solutions from an experienced family lawyer! The domestic violence judge may issue temporary orders not only for possession of your home, but also for child custody, child support and spousal support. You should be prepared immediately for your long term future as these temporary orders really can have a long lasting impact of the rest of your case.

Our office accepts Pennsylvania family law cases including divorce, equitable distribution, spousal support, alimony pendente lite, alimony, paternity and child support matters, child custody cases, juvenile law cases, domestic violence, and related matters in Allegheny County (Pittsburgh), Beaver County, Berks County, Butler County, Clearfield County, Washington County, and Westmoreland County (Greensburg). Our law firm accepts Pennsylvania family law cases from other Western Pennsylvania counties including Armstrong County (Kittanning) Clarion County, Fayette County, Greene County, Indiana County, Lawrence County, Mercer County, Somerset County, and Venango County on a case-by-case basis. To schedule a consultation, contact our Allegheny County domestic violence lawyers


The statements in this section are based on Pennsylvania law and have been issued to inform and not advise. The statements are general in nature and individual facts in a given case may alter their application or involve other laws not referred to here.

Back to FAQs