Can the Miami-Dade family court require counseling prior to finalizing a Florida divorce?

It depends on the situation. To obtain a divorce in Miami, or anywhere else in Florida, there must be a legally acceptable reason. There are two legally acceptable reasons in Florida. One is that one party has been declared legally incompetent for a period in excess of three years. The other is that the marriage is “irretrievably broken.” That means that there is nothing that the court can do in order to attempt to make the couple get back together. If there are children, and one of the parties denies that the marriage is irretrievably broken, then the court may order the parties to attend counseling and may delay the proceedings for up to three months to encourage and/or permit the parties an opportunity to reconcile. If neither party denies that the marriage is irretrievably broken, then counseling will not be required.If you are facing a Florida divorce, and would like to be represented by an experienced Miami divorce attorney once your case is ready to be filed, contact the Miami office of Vari & Associates. Consultations are available in Miami and at several meeting locations throughout Dade and Broward Counties including Lincoln Road in Miami Beach, West Country Club Drive in Aventura, Hollywood Boulevard in Hollywood and in the Homestead area. Appointments are also available by telephone and via Skype internet video chat. Telephone our office at (305) 222-7351 or send us an email to schedule a consultation.

When scheduling a consultation, please inform the secretary if there are any pending hearings, deadlines for filing an appeal, or other reason why you may need an immediate appointment. We will do our very best to accommodate your schedule in setting an appointment.


The statements in this section are based on Florida law and have been issued to inform and not advise. The statements are general in nature and individual facts in a given case may alter their application or involve other laws not referred to here.

Back to FAQs