Do I need a lawyer to file for child support in Florida?

There is no requirement for an individual to hire a lawyer to file for child support in Florida. A person has the right to self-representation in court, and that right remains the same in all Florida family law proceedings. In Florida, child support rules indicate that both parents are expected to contribute to support their minor children. The amount of child support payments that a parent is obligated to pay to the other parent depends on the parent’s net incomes or earning capacities of the parties. Specific Florida child support calculator programs are utilized by the child support agency and court to determine the income of each parent for child support purposes. Though not required, hiring a Miami child support attorney to represent you, will allow you to go into the case somewhat knowing what to except. A Miami child support lawyer has access to the Florida Child Support Guidelines and can give you an estimate of how much money you will either likely have to pay, or likely receive each month for your child, so in court you will not be totally shocked when the judge makes his or her decision.If you are facing a Florida child custody dispute and would like to be represented by an experienced Miami child custody attorney, contact Vari & Associates. Consultations are available in Miami and at several meeting locations throughout Dade and Broward Counties including Lincoln Road in Miami Beach, West Country Club Drive in Aventura, Hollywood Boulevard in Hollywood and in the Homestead area. Appointments are also available by telephone and via Skype internet video chat. Telephone our office at (305) 222-7351 or send us an email to schedule a consultation.

When scheduling a consultation, please inform the secretary if there are any pending hearings, deadlines for filing an appeal, or other reason why you may need an immediate appointment. We will do our very best to accommodate your schedule in setting an appointment.


The statements in this section are based on Florida law and have been issued to inform and not advise. The statements are general in nature and individual facts in a given case may alter their application or involve other laws not referred to here.

Back to FAQs