Does a mother always get primary custody in Florida?

No, a Miami mother does not always get primary custody of her children in Florida. The Miami-Dade family court can decide to award equal time-sharing to both parents, or can make one parent the primary custodial parent and give the other parent visitation rights, depending on what the court determines is in the best interest of the child or children. Florida laws go far in protecting the rights of the minor children to have a healthy relationship with both their mother and their father. Early custody laws primarily favored the father and then later changed to primarily favoring the mother. Under current Florida law, there are no presumptions in favor of either parent with regard to custody and time-sharing rights; both parents stand on equal footing, and a parenting plan is devised solely on the basis of what type of schedule works best for the children.If you are facing a Miami-Dade child custody dispute and would like to be represented by an experienced Miami child custody attorney, contact Vari & Associates. We will work to help you obtain a fair Florida time-sharing schedule.

Consultations are available in Miami and at several meeting locations throughout Dade and Broward Counties including Lincoln Road in Miami Beach, West Country Club Drive in Aventura, Hollywood Boulevard in Hollywood and in the Homestead area. Appointments are also available by telephone and via Skype internet video chat. Telephone our office at (305) 222-7351 or send us an email to schedule a consultation.

When scheduling a consultation, please inform the secretary if there are any pending hearings, deadlines for filing an appeal, or other reason why you may need an immediate appointment. We will do our very best to accommodate your schedule in setting an appointment.


The statements in this section are based on Florida law and have been issued to inform and not advise. The statements are general in nature and individual facts in a given case may alter their application or involve other laws not referred to here.

Back to FAQs