How can a spouse or minor child have their name changed in Florida?

In Florida, a woman who has assumed the last name of her husband upon marriage can have her last name changed back to her maiden name as part of the Dissolution of Marriage (divorce) proceeding. This is a very easy process to complete.If both parents of a minor child agree to change the name of the minor child, a Petition for Change of Name must be submitted to the Family Court along with the written agreement of the parents. The Family Court judge will then sign a Final Judgment of Change of Name.

If one parent objects to changing the name of a minor child, the Family Court judge will conduct a hearing on the request and determine if it is in the minor child’s best interest to have their name formally changed to the name proposed by the petitioner.

Our office accepts Florida family law cases including dissolution of marriage (divorce), equitable distribution, spousal support, alimony, paternity, child support, time-sharing (child custody), juvenile law cases, and related matters in Miami-Dade County, Broward County and Monroe County. Our law firm accepts Florida family law cases from other counties on a case-by-case basis.

Consultations are available in Miami and at several meeting locations throughout Dade and Broward Counties including Lincoln Road in Miami Beach, West Country Club Drive in Aventura, Hollywood Boulevard in Hollywood and in the Homestead area.  Appointments are also available by telephone and via Skype internet video chat.  Telephone our office at (305) 222-7351 or send us an email to schedule a consultation.

When scheduling a consultation, please inform the secretary if there are any pending hearings, deadlines for filing an appeal, or other reason why you may need an immediate appointment. We will do our very best to accommodate your schedule in setting an appointment.

Back to FAQs