If I want to move away from Florida with my child after or upon divorce, what do I need to do?

In Florida, if a parent wishes to move away or relocate with his or her minor child on a permanent basis for more than 60 consecutive days to a new residence 50 miles or more away from the current residence, the relocating parent must provide advance notice of the intent to relocate to the non-relocating parent who has a right to agree or contest the relocation. If the non-relocating parent files a notice that they intend to contest the relocation, the relocating parent must obtain the court’s permission in order to relocate. If a Florida parent relocates without providing proper notice or after a notice to contest the relocation has been filed, that parent may be sanctioned by the Family Court which could include an order compelling the return of the child and/or loss of custody rights.Consultations are available in Miami and at several meeting locations throughout Dade and Broward Counties including Lincoln Road in Miami Beach, West Country Club Drive in Aventura, Hollywood Boulevard in Hollywood and in the Homestead area. Appointments are also available by telephone and via Skype internet video chat. Telephone our office at (305) 222-7351 or send us an email to schedule a consultation.

When scheduling a consultation, please inform the secretary if there are any pending hearings, deadlines for filing an appeal, or other reason why you may need an immediate appointment. We will do our very best to accommodate your schedule in setting an appointment.


The statements in this section are based on Florida law and have been issued to inform and not advise. The statements are general in nature and individual facts in a given case may alter their application or involve other laws not referred to here.

Back to FAQs