What should I do if I am served with a Petition for Dissolution of Marriage, Paternity, or some other action in Florida?

If you are served with a Petition for Dissolution of Marriage, a Petition for Paternity or some other Florida family law action, you should immediately contact a Florida family law attorney. If you do not file a formal written response within twenty days, you may suffer a default judgment. A default judgment generally grants the Petitioner whatever relief he or she requested in their pleading. A default judgment could greatly impact the division of marital assets, awards of child or spousal support and the time-sharing rights of each parent, amongst other issues.Consultations are available in Miami and at several meeting locations throughout Dade and Broward Counties including Lincoln Road in Miami Beach, West Country Club Drive in Aventura, Hollywood Boulevard in Hollywood and in the Homestead area. Appointments are also available by telephone and via Skype internet video chat.  Telephone our office at (305) 222-7351 or send us an email to schedule a consultation.

When scheduling a consultation, please inform the secretary if there are any pending hearings, deadlines for filing an appeal, or other reason why you may need an immediate appointment. We will do our very best to accommodate your schedule in setting an appointment.

Back to FAQs