Modifying Enforcing Child Support Protecting Your Family's Interests for three decades Get A Consultation

Child Support Modification Lawyers in Pittsburgh and Allegheny County

How Do I Begin To Collect Or Modify Child Support In Pennsylvania?

A person seeking child support in Pennsylvania must file a Support Complaint with the family court in the county where they reside in order to establish a right to collect child support payments through a court order. No legal obligation on the other parent exists until the complaint is filed with the family court. Similarly, if a reason exists to modify a child support order such as an increase or decrease in income of either parent or the child reaching age eighteen, the parent must file a request for a hearing to determine if modification of the PA support order is appropriate. Until a petition for modification is filed with the family court and a new court order is entered, the parent paying support is required to continue making payments as outlined in the existing support court order.

Enforcement Of Pennsylvania Child Support Orders

If the parent who is required to pay child support has failed to comply with the order of court, the non-support case will be heard by a judge and that parent may be held in contempt. A parent must be found to have the present ability to pay and refused to do so prior to being found in contempt for non-payment of child support. After being found in contempt, there are numerous enforcement remedies available to secure payment of past due child support (also called support arrearages). These enforcement remedies include, among others, incarceration of the non-paying parent, suspension of driver’s licenses, revocation of any other state-issued licenses including professional licenses, liens placed against bank accounts, withholding of federal or state tax refunds and imposition of attorney fees. The Allegheny County Sheriff’s Department maintains a list on their website of the most serious cases of non-support and the names and photos of the Allegheny County deadbeat parents.

Duty To Report Changes Of Income

There have been a number of Pennsylvania appellate cases involving the failure of a parent or spouse to report changes (generally increases) in income as the changes have occurred. The law clearly indicates that there is a duty to report an increase in income and if either party to a support action fails to report the change in income, there can be a retroactive modification of the PA support order to the date the change initially happened and an adjustment of the support order back to that date. The retroactive modification of support and recalculation of the support order generally results in significant arrearages (underpayment of support) and triggers aggressive enforcement actions.

Pennsylvania Domestic Relations Offices

If you have an existing child support case and need to inquire whether payment has been made or received, you can contact the Pennsylvania Domestic Relations Office in the county where the child support order was entered by the court or telephone the Pennsylvania State Collection and Disbursement Unit (PA SCDU) at (1-877-676-9580).

Contact Our Pittsburgh Child Support Enforcement & Modification Attorneys Today

Our Pittsburgh child support lawyers have represented hundreds of parents seeking to obtain a fair child support order. Email our Allegheny County child support attorneys to learn how we can help you with your PA child support modification or contempt issue.

You can also call our PA child support law firm at one of the following numbers:

Pittsburgh at (412) 231-9786

Canonsburg at (724) 436-5500

Cranberry Township at (724) 776-9906

Toll-free at (412) 231-9786 (1-844-VARI-LAW)

Appointments may also be available in other meeting locations throughout Pennsylvania upon advance arrangements with our office. Ask the secretary scheduling your appointment for details including appointment locations. Our law firm hours are Monday – Friday 8 am – 5 pm.

  • “Melissa was able to help”

    - Rhonda
  • “I not only recommend attorney Melissa Lewis, but I guarantee once you have used her service you will look no further. She responds in an extreme timely matter, is very knowledgeable, and an extremely trustworthy person.”

    - Maurice B.
  • “Amazing”

    - Barbara

Taybron Law Firm, LLC Is the Right Choice for Your Family Matters

Learn more about our firm and why you should entrust our experienced legal team to handle your family law matters.

  • Supporting Active Military and Veterans
    Offering Free 30-Minute Consultations to Active Military and Veterans.
  • Experienced

    More than 30 years of combined experience practicing family law in Pennsylvania.

  • Diverse
    Attorney Melissa C. Taybron is trained as a mediator and collaborative family lawyer.
  • Complex Cases
    Experienced with high income, self employed professionals in complex support and equitable distribution cases.
  • Strong Support
    A team of senior attorneys, junior associates, paralegals and law school clerks for full legal support throughout the process.

Request a Consultation

We can further discuss the individual details of your case when you come in for your no-obligation consultation, which can be scheduled by calling our firm at (412) 231-9786 or via the quick contact form we have included at the bottom of this page.

  • Please enter your first name.
  • Please enter your last name.
  • Please enter your phone number.
    This isn't a valid phone number.
  • Please enter your email address.
    This isn't a valid email address.
  • Please make a selection.
  • Please make a selection.
  • Please enter a message.
  • Please make a selection.
  • Please enter a message.

The information on this website is for general information purposes only. Nothing on this site should be taken as legal advice for any individual case or situation. This information is not intended to create, and receipt or viewing does not constitute, an attorney-client relationship.