Applying for Child Support in PA

Whether you and your child’s other parent are going through a divorce or breakup, or if you were never in a relationship, both parents are obligated to provide for their children financially. 

The Pennsylvania family court system requires this and allows parents to file for child support when they want to ensure that their child has the financial resources they are entitled to. Read on to learn more about who will pay child support in PA and how you can apply for child support through the Pennsylvania Child Support Program.

Which Parent Will Be Paying Child Support?

Generally speaking, the parent with whom the children do not primarily reside will be the one to pay child support. This parent is referred to as the noncustodial parent and is typically ordered to pay child support to the custodial parent, as they spend less time caring for the children than the custodial parent does. 

In cases where families have 50/50 custody, as is often common in PA child support cases, neither parent may be ordered to pay support, or the higher-earning parent may be ordered to provide child support to the lesser-earning parent. 

The Pennsylvania Child Support Program

The Pennsylvania Child Support Program oversees child support cases and orders in PA. To file for child support, either you or your attorney can head to their website and file for child support online, or you can fill out the required paperwork and bring it in to your local county’s Domestic Relations Section (DRS) to file. The program will then carefully review the provided application and determine what the noncustodial parent’s child support obligation will be. 

Reach Out to a PA Child Support Lawyer

If you need help applying for the child support payments your children deserve, or if you want to ensure that your child’s other parent is meeting their financial obligations, meet with an experienced PA child support lawyer at Lisa Marie Vari & Associates, P.C. 

To schedule your no-obligation consultation, just give us a call at 1-844-VARI-LAW (827-4529) or complete the quick contact form we have included below.