Can I seek an increase in my alimony in Florida?

Yes, you can seek an increase in alimony in Florida. However, in determining whether to order an increase in alimony payments, the court must examine the request to do so by a preponderance of the evidence of increased ability to pay alimony. Absent a finding of fraud, a payor’s increased income may not be considered permanent unless the increase has been maintained without interruption for at least 1 year, taking into account the payor’s ability to sustain his/her income.

If you would like to modify your Florida alimony order, contact our Florida alimony lawyers.  Send us an email or call us at 305-222-7351.

Consultations are available in Miami and at several meeting locations throughout Dade and Broward Counties including Lincoln Road in Miami Beach, West Country Club Drive in Aventura, Hollywood Boulevard in Hollywood and in the Homestead area. Appointments are also available by telephone and via Skype internet video chat.

When scheduling a consultation, please inform the secretary if there are any pending hearings, deadlines for filing an appeal, or other reason why you may need an immediate appointment. We will do our very best to accommodate your schedule in setting an appointment.


The statements in this section are based on Florida law and have been issued to inform and not advise. The statements are general in nature and individual facts in a given case may alter their application or involve other laws not referred to here.

Back to FAQs