How do I start a divorce case in Florida?

Dissolution of Marriage is the technical legal term for a Florida divorce action. Filing the proper Florida divorce forms is crucial in a case. The required divorce papers include a Petition for Dissolution of Marriage, which is the first step in the Florida divorce process. The spouse filing the petition, also known as the petitioner, must pay the Divorce Court’s filing fee for opening the divorce case. The petitioner must then have the divorce documents including the Petition for Dissolution served on the other spouse, the respondent, which is usually done by a process server. The respondent’s lawyer will then be required to file di an Answer to the Petition for Dissolution of Marriage on behalf of the respondent. Each spouse will state in their respective divorce papers the grounds for the divorce (irreconcilable differences), the jurisdiction (authority) for the court to hear the case, the facts as they believe them to be and the types of issues that the spouse would like the family court to consider. The issues included in a Petition for Dissolution or Answer to the Petition for Dissolution could include the granting of the Florida divorce decree, a division of the marital property, separate maintenance, alimony, child support and resumption of a maiden name.Consultations are available in Miami and at several meeting locations throughout Dade and Broward Counties including Lincoln Road in Miami Beach, West Country Club Drive in Aventura, Hollywood Boulevard in Hollywood and in the Homestead area. Appointments are also available by telephone and via Skype internet video chat. Telephone our office at (305) 222-7351 or send us an email to schedule a consultation.

When scheduling a consultation, please inform the secretary if there are any pending hearings, deadlines for filing an appeal, or other reason why you may need an immediate appointment. We will do our very best to accommodate your schedule in setting an appointment.


The statements in this section are based on Florida law and have been issued to inform and not advise. The statements are general in nature and individual facts in a given case may alter their application or involve other laws not referred to here.

Back to FAQs