Can a credit be given for purchases made by the person paying support in Pennsylvania?

In most circumstances, no. The Pennsylvania child support order or Pennsylvania spousal support order must be paid in full, and anything additional that is provided directly for the other spouse or children, such as clothing or gifts, will not be credited against the PA child support or PA spousal support order. If the parties are married, the spouse occupying the marital residence is responsible for payment of the mortgage, taxes, utilities and all other bills associated with their possession of the residence. In some cases, the support hearing officers, support masters, and judges of Western Pennsylvania including the Allegheny, Beaver, Butler, Washington and Westmoreland County courts will permit the spouse not occupying the residence to directly pay the mortgage on the marital residence and receive a credit for the payment against their Pennsylvania child support, Pennsylvania spousal support, Pennsylvania alimony pendente lite, or Pennsylvania alimony obligation.If you have questions about payments that you are making or receiving in lieu of child support or spousal support, contact our Pittsburgh child support lawyers for a consultation.  The payments being made may be too high or too low or you may be loosing valuable tax benefits if you fail to understand your legal rights.

Our attorneys accept family law cases in Allegheny County (Pittsburgh), Armstrong County, Beaver County, Berks County, Butler County, Clearfield County, Somerset County, Washington County, and Westmoreland County (Greensburg). Our Pennsylvania family law attorneys accept cases from other Pennsylvania counties including Clarion County, Fayette County, Greene County, Indiana County, Lawrence County, Mercer County, and Venango County on a case-by-case basis.


The statements in this section are based on Pennsylvania law and have been issued to inform and not advise. The statements are general in nature and individual facts in a given case may alter their application or involve other laws not referred to here.

Back to FAQs