What is equitable distribution under PA laws?

Equitable distribution is the legal term for division of marital assets and marital debts as part of a Pennsylvania divorce action. In Pennsylvania, marital assets and debts are those assets or debts acquired from the date of marriage to the date of separation except those assets and debts that are excluded by a prenuptial or post-nuptial agreement or because they were acquired by gift from someone other than the spouse or through inheritance.

Our Pittsburgh equitable distribution lawyers are experienced in analyzing the financial issues in a divorce case. Our job includes determining whether assets and debts are marital or not, valuation of marital assets and assisting clients with obtaining a fair division of their marital property and debts. Our Senior Associate is an accountant and very skilled at assisting clients with complex financial issues in divorce and support including income calculations, tax considerations and valuation issues involving marital businesses and property.

Contact our Pittsburgh equitable distribution attorneys today for an evaluation of your financial rights under PA divorce laws. Our office accepts Pennsylvania family law cases including divorce, equitable distribution, spousal support, alimony pendente lite, alimony, paternity and child support matters, child custody cases, juvenile law cases, and related matters in Allegheny County (Pittsburgh), Beaver County, Berks County, Butler County, Clearfield County, Washington County, and Westmoreland County (Greensburg).

Our law firm accepts Pennsylvania family law cases from other Pennsylvania counties including Armstrong County (Kittanning) Clarion County, Fayette County, Greene County, Indiana County, Lawrence County, Mercer County, Somerset County, and Venango County on a case-by-case basis.


The statements in this section are based on Pennsylvania law and have been issued to inform and not advise. The statements are general in nature and individual facts in a given case may alter their application or involve other laws not referred to here.

Back to FAQs